Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Friends

A friend is someone whom you feel comfortable going to a bar with wearing sweatpants. A good friend is someone whom you feel comfortable going to a bar with wearing no pants.

Lol, my mom read that quote somewhere yesterday… then I guess I don’t have any good friends since I’m not going to go to a bar wearing no pants. Chinese people have a similar saying. We say “穿一条裤子都嫌肥” which means best friends are so close that there’s still room if they wear the same pair of pants.

How do you define a good friend?
In movies, there’s always the popular girl whom everyone wants to be friends with. But how many real friends does she have?
How can you make friends and keep them?
Seniors will leave and move on to college soon. How many of the people I call friends now will I keep in touch with? How many new friends will I meet at college?
Maintaining a friendship takes a lot of work. Technology has made it easier (facebook, e-mail, text message, etc.). But to truly keep a friendship going, both parties need to put in effort. One of my best friends in the world lives in China. We met when we were in the 3rd grade. Maintaining a friendship over the Pacific Ocean is difficult. It means I have to give up at 6:00 A.M. on a Saturday so I can call her. It means I have to stare at a dictionary so I can write a letter to her (yeah, for a while, I forgot how to write in Chinese. I had to look every other word up in the dictionary).
I will work very hard to keep in touch with my good friends at ASFA. I don’t need many friends, but I need the ones I have to count.
Anyone wants to give me tips on how to keep up with friends?

No comments:

Post a Comment